Friday, August 14, 2009

My Journey with God to Africa - Day Nine 29-06-2009


"Live in Harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose"
1 Corinthians 1:10


What a verse to start the day with today. It would prove to be more accurate as the day went on.

I awoke this morning and as I got ready I felt led to read scripture. I took my Bible and went out on the balcony. I had wondered what God would reveal to me and if it would be something I would bring with me to share in the worship service this morning.

I opened my Bible up and Jonathans sunday school bookmark had brought me to a page in Matthew. As I looked down there was a verse highlighted, the only one. It was Matthew 6:19-20 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal." If there were ever a group of people that would need this scripture, it would not be the Ugandans. They have very little and are always so thankful for what they have.

I glanced over and another verse caught my eye. It was Matthew 6:1-4 "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and the in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

Suddenly my heart sunk and I began to cry. Everywhere we went it was like a processesion and I was so afraid that we were guilty of sounding a trumpet, and all the while giving to the poor. "Oh Lord, Please forgive me and I'm so sorry if you have found any of this in my heart!" As I lifted my my face with tears streaming I was led to Psalm 66:19-20 "But certainly God had heard; He has given heed to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, Who has not turned away my prayer Nor His lovingkindness from me." Wow, I absolutely love when God meets us where we are and through His word both rebuke any wrong doing and once we've asked forgiveness heeds our prayer and still loves us...Glory to God!

I had come inside the room and asked Sharlyn if she would join me in the other room with Jan and Jeanice. I expressed my concerns of any wrong doing on our parts or mine in particular in our giving. Together we prayed that if it's conviction being felt that God would reveal it and replace it with only things that would be glorified by Him. I love this group of girls!



Pastor Ruth arrived and we headed to Royal Palace Church led by Pastor Steven Onamuna and his wife Roselyne in Mairo Aboro, Tororo. Once again we were greeted like royalty. Women and children would take our hand and kneel down before us. I kept praying, "Lord, let it be for your glory and nothing for us." I felt near tears everytime someone would kneel down. We entered in and the praise and worship had been started. Drums, singing, triangle bell, dancing all up and down each isle. I was thanking God at this point as I saw the excitment in Sharlyn's face. She was hoping for a chance to share in a music and praise celebration with drums. Thank You, Jesus for your thoughtfulness every step of the way!



The church was packed wall to wall and then some. As the worship continued you could see the love for God in each one of these precious faces. Some had tears, some sang with eyes closed as if they were singing a song of prayer directly to God. The youth groups had come up and sang songs of praise. It's always so fun to see the children, from primary to young adults sing. Pastor Steven had made an announcement to the older youth to only pick one song of the several they had planned and to ONLY sing ONE song. They sang about three! LOL



After the praise music had ended pastor Steven had come forward and introduced some of the members of his church. He let us know how Pastor Ruth was a big part of the growth in his church. She had been with him when they had only a handful of members. Now they had standing room only. He and the congregation were praying and believing God for a piece of land in which to build a new church on. I'm praying and believing too.
Pastor Steven had suggested that each team member come up and give some words of encouragement. Before we did he began the service. His first few words were about not blowing our trumpets before men...whoa! Only God could orchestrate that. Something that was so tender on my heart from the moment I read the scripture was now being spoken again by a pastor that had no idea of the significance it would have on my heart. Well needless to say as I approached the group I tried the best I could to tell them how that verse had effected me. All that would come out that they could make any sense of was "I love you so much" and I had to sit. Each team member made their way to the pulpit and gave some encouragement or words from the heart. I can't tell you enough just how much God had moved in our lives. I kept thinking back to the mission workbook I read before our trip and how it stated "we are not there to bring treasures, but to find them right where they are". Thank You, Jesus for the many wonderful treasures we were given each day.
.
They closed the service with tithe and offering. Two separate entities. One basket was set for those that made income during the week and was designated for their tithe, the other basket was for those with an offering to God and the church. I was so touched by this! Again another nugget for my heart. The hearts of these brothers and sisters in Christ are rich, even though they are poor. Women had brought forth crops from the gardens as an offering to God. I couldn't help but wonder what a spectacle it would be if someone in our church brought crops to put in an offering plate. There is something seriously wrong in our churches and worship. Am I the only one that thinks this way?

After the service we were led outside to greet the congregation. Again, we were greeted so warmly. Once the church had cleared out we were led back inside for lunch. We each washed our hands in a basin and prepared to eat. Lunch consisted of beef, rice, cabbage, and yellow bananas for dessert.





As we ate lunch Pastor Steven talked more about his ministry and told us of the nursery school he runs. He has several children in the Royal Palace Nursery School. Many are dropping out as parents are not able to afford the fees for school. When I asked him what those fees were he replied, "15.00 per session, which is 3 months, with 3 sessions per year." It just amazes me that children cannot attend school for 5.00 per month, less than .16 cents per day. Jan and I looked at each other and I knew she was thinking what I was thinking, sponsorship! The 5.00 per month pays for the rent of the building, teacher fees and a small snack at the end of the day. Even if you had 10 children a month = 50.00, and 2 teachers those teachers are getting less than 25.00 a month salary after rent and food are deducted. Just amazing! God provides the needs. We will have a sponsorship page soon for these precious babies!

Before we left the church a gift was given to the church to help start the funds for land. We prayed that God would multiply it and we all believe He will.


As we drove back to the hotel, we all were quiet and smiling. Our trip with God to Africa has been a life changing event. Each day as we drive to our hotel we always pass this sign below. We can't help but giggle at it, but it is so Africa. Pure and simple!




As I sat writing this it was drizzling with a dark sky and background rumbling. It was peaceful. A cow below our second story balcony stood chewing the wet grass. In the distance you could hear horns blowing, warning bikes and pedestrians of it's arrival. Motorbikes zoom down the street in a hurry to their destination before the rain pours hard. I will miss Africa, as God has given me so many gifts here to tuck in my heart. I look forward to seeing my family very soon!


"When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours." Romans 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment