Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Message From Prison

I received this message today from Christine Birt. Christine came to Uganda at the age of 49. She felt God calling her to prison ministry and has lived there ever since. I believe she said its been about 16 years now serving God!
As I mentioned, she ministers inside a men's prison in Mbale. She's seen God move in powerful ways. Just last week she sat with a man who was very ill. He didn't make it through the night, but was able to pray with him before he went to be with the Lord.

Sharlyn and I were able to meet with Christine on the last week of our trip. She brought items that the men had made for us to look at. The men make baskets, jewelry and other wares in an effort to help support themselves. They're quite good at it.

Below is the recent email I received from Christine. I hope you are blessed by it!

Dear Denise,


Praise God, at last I have managed to upload these pictures. It has taken about 6 hours. Internet is slow, twice it has cut off completely. The joys of the mission field.....

The pictures are of me handing over the beads to the OC Mbale Government prison for craft work, and to help the prisoners gain skills that will help to support themselves on release. I am taking carrots weekly for one prisoner whose eyes are needing these vitamins, and minerals. I took a large bottle of orange squash for one who has been in sick bay for months with a mental problem which manifests itself with loss of memory. I prayed for him on Wednesday. Another one in sick bay was ready to be saved - give God the Glory. Another received Jesus as his Saviour at the end of the Discipleship teaching on the same day.I have bought coloured manila papers, and silver papers, and clear varnish to help with the craft work. I usually buy some sugar and soap every time I go. I have had a request for a vacuum flask. Also I buy any medicine that is not available in the prison. Sometimes I pay for Xrays. The are still hungry for Bibles.


Thank you for praying for me. I feel that something oppressive has lifted off me, I found that I was laughing yesterday and realised that I had not laughed properly for many months.


My radio discipleship hour went exceptionally well this week. We could feel the anointing on us. So many people are listening, and many send messages of appreciation.


I have been given the money for an air ticket to go to the UK for October. Pray that my dual citizenship papers will be through before then, and that I will have my Ugandan passport, as well as the British one.

You are a blessing to us in Uganda.
Much love in Jesus,
Christine.

Craft Supplies














Christine handing supplies to the O.C. of the Prison

No comments:

Post a Comment