Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vision Project Uganda


The time is nearly here for our trip to Uganda. There are so many things that have transpired and it only makes sense to get them written down before they are a mere memory. God has allowed me the opportunity to start a vision project in the midst of a very trying time in my life. As He set these wheels in motion I couldn't help but realize he was telling me to take my eyes off myself, not to let my mind stray and to focus on Him, and in doing so all other things will fall into place.
As I sat and looked at the faces of these children and wondered how my circumstance would affect my trip, I couldn't help but notice that not one of them was wearing a pair of glasses. "Could it be because they all have perfect eyesight?" I wondered. I hardly think so. And so the seed was planted. In a very short time there were people all over the United States asking to be involved in collecting glasses for the children. As I sat in awe and terror if I'm to be totally honest, I wondered how on earth I would match up these glasses to those in need, after all I am not a doctor and have no degree in such matters.
It was the next morning that I got an email from Dr. Vikram and another from Dr. Ben Bwonya telling me that they had heard of the project and were very interesting in joining the efforts. God had once again opened the doors to fullfill His purpose in this project.
Pastor Ruth Kahawa has informed us that they will be inviting government officials to flag off the vision project ceremony. How exciting to be a part of such a wonderful outpouring of Gods provisions.
This week marks the week that screening will begin for the children at Smile Africa Ministries. Photos will be coming shortly to witness this event as it transpires.
The outpouring of love and compassion for this project is overwhelming. There are approx. 250 pair of glasses at this time with 2 weeks left. We have also been collecting toothbrushes, our original plan, and have collected over 1000 of them!
We had a huge rummage sale this past weekend and were able to reach our goal and keep up with the ever increasing budget before us.
As for the devastion that came to my life, Gods promise is always present and life is back on track. All around circumstances are working out for His glory.
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

No comments:

Post a Comment